Saturday, June 26, 2010

State Of Mind


While running my boring errands today, I saw something very interesting.

I had to drive into South Carolina, which was about forty minutes out of my way. It would have been an uneventful trip if I knew exactly where I was going. But I didn’t.

I was looking for a small bank along a wide stretch of road with lots of traffic. That’s why I noticed the sign marking the state line. I needed to know when I crossed into South Carolina so that I knew to look for my destination soon after that. What I didn’t expect to see was what sat on the property behind the state line sign – a house.

The state line sliced right through the middle of a house!

Well, that brought up all kinds of questions in my head, questions that distracted me until I finally found the bank.

First of all, how did such a thing happen? Did the owner of the house choose to build it on the line? Or did the state move the line after the house was built?

Second, where do “they” – the people in the house – live? In North Carolina or in South Carolina? Both, I guess. But that doesn’t work for a mailing address. Do they live where they eat, or where they sleep (which could be in two different states)? Do they live in the state with the front door? Then, to digress, I ended up on a train of thought about where we each live – do we live where our house is, or where we work, or where we get the most out of life…? Does an address really have anything to do with where we actually live?

Perhaps the only state that matters is state of mind.

Hmm…

And getting back to the state line house…

Do they have to pay income tax in both states? Do they split property taxes down the middle between North and South Carolina?

What about a driver’s license and a license plate? Which state?

Can they vote in both states?

My list went on and on. The state line house brought up so many questions that I don’t understand why anyone would want to live in it.

Maybe they have kids in college and came up with this brilliant plan to qualify for in-state tuition in both states.

I must admit, it isn’t such a bad idea…

Have you ever seen a state line house? What would you ask?

3 comments:

Graybay said...

As a family, we went to see some rellies in Canada in 89'. they live in a very small town with dirt rds in Saskatchewan. The next biggest town is Lloydminster, which was 20 minutes away. It has a funny yellow line through it, which was the border b/w Alberta and Saskatchewan. Crazy stuff. You could buy cheaper gas on one side than the other. Quite weird we thought coming from a nation with no borders apart from the ocean.

Masala Chica said...

That is so random - I have never seen that - I wonder if it is more a question of the state line being moved after the house was built - but maybe they just wanted to have a decent choice of the best state colleges (NC) and lower taxes (SC)? Not sure . . . As long as they are not paying taxes for both states - I hope they get to enjoy both worlds . . . however - I like having a state identity. (Of course this is from someone who comes from Jersey, so what the hell do I know?)
Love,
Kiran

julie b. said...

Honestly, I wish I had something brilliant to say about the state line house, but all I can say is that I am glad that I don't reside in it. My life is already full of so many questions and puzzles that living on the state line would be something that I would without a doubt just simply avoid.

 

Blog Design By Sour Apple Studio © All Rights Reserved.