Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Bluesday Tip #2: Drink It, Don't Sink It

Today is Bluesday (the first Tuesday of the month). Each Bluesday I share a tip for How To Be Blue. Being blue is about caring for the ocean - what we put into it, and what we take out of it. This month's Bluesday tip is "Drink It, Don't Sink It."

Each time I brush my teeth, I turn on the water in the sink…and leave it on. I rinse my brush and then stand there, brushing and brushing while the water is gushing and gushing. This is a waste of water. I don’t remember when this bad habit began, but I’m more aware of it now than ever. It’s a hard habit to break.

One of the best ways to keep the ocean clean and to be blue is to conserve water. One of the easiest ways to conserve water is to turn off the water while you brush your teeth. We can all learn to do it. Here’s how:

Step 1:
Put a cup beside the sink for convenience.

Step 2:
Before you start to brush, fill the cup with water and rinse your toothbrush.

Step 3:
Turn off the water (obviously, this is the most important step).

Step 4:
Brush teeth, drink water to rinse, and clean toothbrush with water leftover in cup.

Step 5:
Feel good about fresh breath, clean teeth, and being blue!


Conserve water by reforming your water use habits.

Drink it, don’t sink it. The ocean will thank you!

May you turn a deeper shade of blue with each passing month.

2 comments:

Kristen said...

Another thought to add to this Bluesday tip -- when you turn the water on in the sink, try not to turn it on full blast. That will also conserve water. Thanks! Be Blue!

gray said...

Kristen,
I'll have to admit, prior to moving to the States, I used water like it was going out of fashion. Long showers,(some might say I still do), running the tap water while brushing so on and so forth. Well, I've certainly changed my ways here, due to probably 3 factors. Firstly, Jenn turns the tap off while brushing, secondly making me more water conscious and thirdly (unlike in NZ) I now have to pay for the water I use. I guess it was taken for granted in kiwi land.

Gray

PS. It's very hard to break the long shower habit though!?

 

Blog Design By Sour Apple Studio © All Rights Reserved.