Wednesday, February 3, 2010

The Sitdownagains

I’m not a big fan of TV for toddlers, but I’ve come to realize that there are times when I need it. There are times when I’ve been on my feet since I stepped out of bed, chasing my toddler, dressing my toddler, playing with my toddler, feeding my toddler, cleaning up after my toddler, and wanting nothing more than ten minutes to sit down. That’s when a short (and educational) TV cartoon show can provide a much needed break.

One such show is The Backyardigans, which is my two-year-old’s current favorite (although her favorite changes by the week). Some of you may know this show, others of you (especially those without kids) may be trying to figure out what in the world the show name means (and how to pronounce it). Basically, it’s about five little creatures who live in a neighborhood together and make up adventures in their backyard (hence, “Backyard”-igans). Their pretend adventures come to life in the yard and transport them to the places they imagine. There is also a lot of song and dance.

Most importantly, these cartoon kiddos succeed where most other toys fail – they hold my toddler’s attention for more than five minutes. In fact, I often find that I have a full twenty minutes to sit down! That’s why The “Sitdownagains” has now become my favorite show, too.

3 comments:

Graybay said...

glad too see you back again, i was getting worried. hehe

Joshua said...

Don't neglect classic Scooby-Doo. Toddlers need a little formulaic suspense/horror in their lives.

:p

Kristen said...

Those of you who are interested - a great study on children and media exposure (cut and paste this link into your browser):

http://futureofchildren.org/futureofchildren/publications/journals/article/index.xml?journalid=32&articleid=56

 

Blog Design By Sour Apple Studio © All Rights Reserved.