Sunday, May 16, 2010

The Late Bird May Get A Better Deal On The Worm

That’s right.

The early bird may get the worm, but -- by being too early -- the early bird may miss out on a better, later deal.

We’ve all heard about the early bird. We’re bombarded with early bird specials and encouraged to be an early bird to get discounts on major purchases, to save money on travel plans, or even to find more success in life.

But today I stumbled upon an exception to this general rule.

And it might just open up a whole new can of worms for all of us birds.

See, I’m attending a conference this summer in DC. Two months ago, when I decided to go to the conference, I researched hotel options for the best rates and deals.

I was trying to be a good little early bird, even though I’m not.

The hotel where I wanted to stay cost a hundred dollars more per night than the Westin a few blocks over. So I was planning to make my reservations at the Westin instead. But, just today, I happened to search hotels again and discovered that the hotel where I originally wanted to stay has now dropped its nightly rate to a few dollars below the Westin’s rate.

Had I booked my hotel reservations two months ago, I would have missed the best deal on the hotel I really wanted. If I’d been the early bird, sure I’d get the worm – the hotel – but I would have paid a hundred dollars more per night for the same worm. By being the late bird, I not only get the worm I want, but I get a better deal on it!

I’m the late bird most of the time so today’s discovery is thrilling to me.

It appears, at least in this instance, the late bird gets a better deal on the worm.

I really hope this becomes the rule instead of the exception!

Hugs,
Late Bird

P.S. When did you get a better deal by being the late bird?

2 comments:

Joshua said...

Remember: it's the SECOND mouse that gets the cheese.

:p

Kristen said...

yes! ...and the night owl gets the second mouse. :)

 

Blog Design By Sour Apple Studio © All Rights Reserved.